Recently, I purchased Splatoon for my Wii U. The game is pretty fun for local battles and the single player campaign, but I really bought it for online play. However, I could not get a single online match to work. It would sit and search for a game to play and then pop up with error code 118-0516. Then I tried Mario Kart 8 and Super Smash Brothers and realized I had the same issues with them as well (I never play them online, so I didn’t know.) A few minutes on Google brought up numerous results with people having the exact same issue. So after reading through Nintendo’s connection troubleshooting guide, I decided to start playing around with my router to see if I could get it to work. Here’s what I found to make it work:
- Give your Wii U a static LAN IP address (Nintendo’s Guide)
- pfSense needs to be configured to manual NAT mode. (Firewall -> NAT -> Outbound, select “Manual Outbound NAT rule generation”)
- Add a new outbound NAT mapping with the following settings:
- Add a new NAT port forwarding rule (Firewall -> NAT -> Port Forwarding) with the following settings:
- Enable UPnP. (Services -> UPnP & NAT-PMP)
I’m not sure if UPnP is necessary, but I enabled it anyway because Nintendo recommended it. Once these settings are all configured, restart your game and the matchmaking should start working.
Hopefully this helps someone else in the future!